Thursday, August 23, 2007

More Sidewalks for Seattle

From a Seattle Press Release that went out today

Mayor Greg Nickels announced today his new sidewalk program - Keeping Pace - will increase the number of sidewalks in Seattle. This week Nickels sent legislation to the Council requiring the inclusion of sidewalks in new residential projects within areas of the city where most development is happening, and in all commercial developments, regardless of size.

“Sidewalks are an important part of Seattle’s transportation agenda and one of my goals is to make Seattle the most walkable city in the nation. But many parts of our city have no sidewalks. With this legislation, we can begin building Seattle’s next transportation system one foot at a time,” said Nickels.

I had no idea there was a lack of sidewalks in Seattle. I guess I am so used to living on Capitol Hill that I just assumed the entire city was covered in sidewalks. Anyone live in a neighborhood here in Seattle that lacks sidewalks?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Parts of the Greenwood neighborhood could use sidewalks! I am totally in favor of more sidewalks, I just hope they can focus on existing neighborhoods as well as new developments