Crime Stoppers has unveiled their new Text A Tip Service.
Here is how to do it
Instructions to submit a secure tip:
- Select text “Messaging” or “SMS” (short messaging service) on your phone’s main menu.
- Create (compose) a new message, beginning with the keyword Tip486 (not case sensitive) in the body of the message.
- Send the message to the short code of 274637 (Crimes)
- Your initial submission will trigger an auto response from the secure transaction server. You will receive brief notes and a unique code number to that response. You must remember this code number, as it cannot be retrieved later. You and the Crime Stoppers coordinator may elect to engage in secure and encrypted two-way dialog at the time with no additional keywords being required to communicate with the system.
- You can text STOP to the short code 274637 (CRIMES) at any time to rest the system where you cannot be replied to by Crime Stoppers. If you do not send stop any further text messages from the same phone do not get a reply but are received. Any new text messages would require the TIP486 keyword again and would be assigned a new code number by the system
Standard text messaging rates may apply.