Friday, July 17, 2009

I Take Back Any Nice Things I Ever Said About The Amazon Kindle & Ebooks

From The SciFiWire and NYTimes

I take back any nice thing I ever felt about Amazon!

Got a Kindle? Think you've got a copy of 1984 on it? Don't be so sure about that.

Hundreds of Amazon Kindle owners had their electronic copies of George Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 deleted from their e-book readers overnight, according to David Pogue's tech blog over at The New York Times.

It seems that the publisher which had offered these electronic editions changed its mind, and so Amazon remotely deleted those books from people's Kindles and refunded the purchase price to their accounts. But ... didn't the Kindle owners who'd bought and paid for these editions own them? Apparently not.

Per one of Pogue's commenters, "It's like Barnes & Noble sneaking into our homes in the middle of the night, taking some books that we've been reading off our nightstands, and leaving us a check on the coffee table."

It's like if EMI decided they didn't want online mp3s anymore and one morning I woke up to find my entire itunes EMI collection gone. Who cares about the money! No more Kindle ebooks for me.


Get Blog Updates By Email
Add Me On Facebook - Twitter - Myspace - Linkedin - Visit Emerson Salon

No comments: